Psalms 61;2b

When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Another Nursing Home Story...

I have got to tell you this...this was a moment that will forever be etched in my memory...

So there is a lady that I have known all my life in the nursing home...she led singing at alot of different churches that I went to, including my church at times of special services... she loved to sing...she loved the hymns...
I hear this woman upset and crying, so as I enter the room, the nurse is having to insert a catheter and the patient is incredibly upset...so I go and stroke her face and began singing to her...Amazing Grace, When The Roll is Called Up Yonder...and other hymns that I can think of...she does calm down considerably and the nurse is able to perform the rest of the procedure...
After the nurse was finished, I just sat at her bedside and stroked her head...and sang to her...she can't talk much due to her debilitating condition...but she can say a few words..as I sat and sang to her, she kept saying in long drawn out sentences..."I'm leaving here" "I'm a goner" "I'm not gonna make it..." well, this didn't surprise me, but what did surprise me was when she had her eyes closed and was reaching up into the air...I asked her what she was reaching for...she stated "I see pretty things"...well, at this point, I am like, okay, she might really be dying...I mean, she is seeing heaven right now....I looked at the girl standing with me with a surprised look...now, my nursing knowledge is telling me, "there are no active signs of dying here" I mean, really...but you know, stranger things have happened...so I get down to business...thinking what if i am standing here and she dies right now...!!! What if I sing her to eternity...so I rack my brain to sing a song that is appropriate...ah...I got it..."Take My Hand Precious Lord" so I begin to sing...she closes her eyes...the nurse has already came in and gave her a Morphine shot...my mind is racing...is she dying right now?? I sing 2 verses and stop and she mumbles another word of the song, so I start back..she is trying to lay comfortable...I am holding her hand and singing...
I stop that song and start singing "Sweet Bye and Bye" ...

All of a sudden, she looked up at me and said in her slow drawn out speech......

"I wish you would hush"

Needless to say, she didn't pass over...her Morphine was taking over...and I ran out of the room dying laughing!!!!!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

O my word!!! That is hilarios!!! +