Psalms 61;2b

When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Salvation...

I went to my prayer group the other night and coming to know God was mentioned...I realized that I didn't have my experience written down anywhere for anyone to read...not that it matters...just that when God does something for me, I like to tell it...and this was MaJOR!!! He saved me! With the evil person that I am, I couldn't even imagine what kind of person I would have been...if it had not happened at such an early age.
Ok, so I was 4 and a half years old... I don't remember the prayer I prayed, or even who preached that night at church...what I do remember is being very scared...
I can remember sitting on the front bench at church...beside a young lady. It was time for fellowship handshake...so since my feet didn't touch the floor, I was gonna have to "hop" down off the bench. I remember looking at the floor...and seeing fire...not really fire, but feeling like it was Hell I was jumping off into...I wouldn't get down. No one was paying attention to me. I was scared...I could not bring myself to jump down..cause I might go to hell...
So, I got the attention of a friend who was probably about 6 years old...told her to go get the pastor's wife...So when she did, I told her I felt like I was gonna go to hell...I don't think I told her about the fire...So, of course, with her there with me, I jumped down and went to the alter. I remember the people of the church gathering around me to pray. I could hear a man named Kenny telling me to get up, that I just had to get up and God would save me...I remember thinking while I was there that I wish he would just go away. Leave me alone to pray. I could hear Mom talking to me, but I don't remember what...I just knew she was behind me knelt down on my left side...Daddy was on my right side beside Mom...I think he was actually standing. Like I said, I don't remember what I prayed exactly, but I know I did...I also remember picturing the cross scene in my mind at the prompting of someone...Then, it was like there was no conscious decision to get up, I just got up...Just got right up...seemed like I had no reason to stay down. I knew God had saved me. I was crying and turned around to Mom...she was laughing...Now I know it was a happy laugh with some tears mixed in...but a 4 year olds mind can't hardly comprehend this...I thought she was laughing and making fun of me. I remember feeling mad at her. I just couldn't imagine why she would be laughing...but I let it pass...I was wanting to hug everyone else. I remember being happy all the way home, and even that night when I got home, I remember still being so happy on the inside.
I later learned that Mom had recorded the day that I got saved was May 25, 1978.
Well, this has been a good experience to sit and think about the details...Maybe you could share...

No comments: